Thursday, November 8, 2012

Imagination!

I was sketching at lunch the other day (which is how I attempt to exercise my drawing skills), and because I'm in the NaNoWriMo spirit, I decided to sketch some of my characters. That's always good artistic exercise--trying to capture something from your imagination, down to the expression. Or sometimes it's downright infuriating and causes forest fires.

Well, maybe not forest fires...

Anyway, I really liked how one character turned out. I liked it so well that I took it home and drew it again on the computer and painted it. Voila!

This be Lisa. She is the best friend of my main character, and a study-aholic. She's pretty, intelligent, driven, and probably gonna rule the world some day. You know, the kind of girl that everyone loves to hate. In fact,  not many people like her, but she doesn't care because she's all like, "Fo'get you, sucka! I'm gonna be Madame President and you gonna be asking if I want fries with that!" 

Don't get me wrong, she's got a good heart, but she's so busy studying and working toward her goals that she kind of neglects her best friend--and, well, only friend.

I've had plenty of time to develop her character. After all, this is a story I've had in my head since I was, like, 12! And I'm not telling you how old I am now! :P

I've always had stories in my head. I guess that's part of having an active imagination.



It wasn't until fairly recently that I found out the average person doesn't look out a car window at a corn field and imagine a beautiful girl running for her life. Or see a barn and envision a teen walking in only to find some evil force has been there first and taken the life of their loved one. Or gaze at a hill and pretend that a haunted house that could not be destroyed is buried underneath. 

And I guess the average person doesn't kill time at the BMV by wondering what their characters' flaws are or what their favorite color would be. When I can't sleep, I flesh out a scene of one of my stories. (Which is probably why I haven't gotten very far, I fall asleep quickly... lol) 

Well folks, that's enough about me! What about you? Any of you have a good story in your head? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers