Monday, November 5, 2012

NANOWRIMO, baby!

Sorry for the absence, friends! My children have been kind enough to share the plague with me. Aren't they thoughtful little dears? By the end of the weekend I felt like this:


No, that's not me. I wish my stomach was still that flat! lol

And because I've been sick and unproductive (read: laying on the couch watching Netflix), I haven't painted. BUT it is Nanowrimo time! 

For those who don't know (you silly people), Nanowrimo is short for National Novel Writing Month. There is even a site with lots of great tips and forums: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/dashboard

The goal of Nanowrimo is to write a novel in a month. That's right, a whole novel in a month. 50,000 words in 1 month! Now, don't get your panties in a wad. No one said good novel--just novel! Once you have your precious piece of literary perfection (or 50,000 words of rambling, whatever), you can edit edit edit! 

I think I've said before that I'm not a writer, but I do enjoy writing stories. I'll never be a great writer, and I'm okay with that. Since I have no painting to show for myself, I will share an excerpt from my Nano. WARNING: My books are always aimed at high schoolers. Not sure why, but I somehow never matured past 16. When I turn 50, this will be very creepy... lol

Timing is everything. That could be the motto of my life because as soon as I entered the kitchen in my ragamuffin state, I nearly fainted. It was like a hottie convention.

Gathered around my kitchen were five of the South Neal’s most popular seniors, and my brother was perched on the counter top casually as if this kind of scene on a Saturday morning was perfectly normal.

With one yank, I pulled my ear buds out and realized that Brett was giving some sort of history lecture. The other muscular teens were so riveted that they failed to notice my entrance.
And then my eye caught a dark shape in the floor.

Cross-legged with his back leaning against a cabinet sat Nerd Stalker. Only he seemed more interested in the shape of his hands than anything Brett had to say. In fact, the way he was intensely staring at them was kind of creepy—almost like he expected them to change color or something. And as if that wasn’t weird enough, he sniffed them.

Gross!

Suddenly his eyes caught mine, he folded his arms and looked away.

Then I realized the room had gone silent. All eyes were staring at me.

And my bunny slippers.

Brett raised his eyebrows expectantly.

“I just… came to... get some breakfast…” Fourteen eyes stared intensely at me. And then, because I was nervous, and I do stupid things when I’m nervous, I grabbed the thing that was closest to me and fled.

It was only when I was back upstairs that I realized I had taken the broom.


Alright kids, go write your own novel!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers